How to Choose Motorcycle Tires

Being a motorcyclist comes with a lot of responsibility. You have to continuously perform maintenance on your bike, you have to make sure that you stay on top of the latest and greatest riding helmets, and you have to make sure that your tires are in the best condition at all times. Not taking proper care of your tires, or ignoring when they need to be replaced, can put you into harm’s way. If you haven’t changed your tires since you bought your bike, and you’re not sure how to pick out the best ones, keep reading to learn the proper way to choose the best tires for your bike.

Things to Consider when Buying Motorcycle Tires

What Kind of Bike Do You Have?

The first thing to think about when picking out new tires for your bike is the type of ride you have, and the type of riding that you’ll be doing. For example, if you spend a lot of time taking your bike on long rides, then you’ll want a tire that is built for the long haul. If you ride aggressively, you’ll want a tire that has phenomenal traction. If you don’t think about these things before purchasing your tires, you could end up getting the wrong ones, and ultimately you’ll end up hurting yourself and your bike.

What Kind of Tire Style Should You Go With?

Check out these styles to determine the type of tire that you should go with. Remember, certain tires are used for specific reasons, so make sure you get tires that align with the type of riding you do and the bike that you have. These are just a few of the different types of tires available, so make sure that you do research on your specific situation to ensure that you’re getting the best possible tire for your bike.

  • Tires for Cruising or Touring

Bikes that are used for long trips require tires that can carry the load of the rider, their pack, and the bike itself. Bikes that are used for cruising or touring tend to put a lot of miles on their tires, so it’s important to find tires that are made with thicker rubber so it takes longer for them to wear down.

  • Tires for Dual Sport

Dual sport tires need to be able to provide the best performance possible for the bike and the rider. In order to pick the right tires, the rider needs to think about the type of terrain that they’ll be on most of the time. You have to make sure that you buy tires that are capable of riding street, as well as off-roading. This is why you’ll often see tires that say 80/20 street, or 80/20 off-road. What this means is that the tires are made for people that spend 80% of their time riding off-road, and the other 20% of the time on the street.

  • Sport Tires

Tires that are made for sport are made with the best possible grip, and a high amount of tread, while not sacrificing performance.

Let’s Talk About Size

If you look on the sidewalls of your tire, you’ll notice a bunch of numbers. There, you’ll see a few numbers that describe the fitment, speed rating, and size of the tire. These numbers indicate the exact tire size that you’ll be needing for your bike. Write down these numbers and make sure to bring them with you when you go to pick out your tires.

Ask Around

There are plenty of motorcycle tire shops online. Check out the forums to see if you can find someone with the same bike as you. If you’re not sure if you’re making the right decision about the tires, talk to them about it. Find out what kind of tires they’ve used and what tires they recommend to use. It’s always best to get advice from those that have experience.

Now that you have the basics about choosing tires for your motorcycle, you can get a better idea about what kind of tires you should be buying. Just remember the most important part, if a tire isn’t right for your bike, you’re going to find out fast and it might not be the easiest lesson to learn.